- "But, of course, the digital divide in higher education isn’t just about faculty access. Access is an…" http://tumblr.com/xe71cyzr0y #
- Photo: mcunite: short answer: yes http://tumblr.com/xe71cyxx6t #
- The Facebook Setting You Should Change as Quickly as Possible (via @christinemartin) – Facebook has at long… http://tumblr.com/xe71cyr0cm #
Action Coalition For Media Education (ACME) National Conference | Boston Park Plaza Hotel | April 7, 2011 | Media Education for Health, Democracy and Reform
Register for ACME, go to:
The early bird deadline is February 18th.
Come check out Mark Lipton’s Social Media Workshop in Track 5 | Technology in Media Education “Twitter, Facebook, and Social Media Literacy: Equity, Pedagogy and the Use of Twitter to Build Professional Networked Learning Collaboratives”
* Learn media education/media literacy from basic tools to sophisticated programs.
* Learn the latest high technology media literacy/education software and web-based tools.
* Enjoy up close and personal access to media legends like Jean Kilbourne, Susan Linn, and Michael Rich.
* Acquire new skills and techniques with experienced media educators who will bring their students.
* Gain new tools for using media education/media literacy with health related issues.
* Experience the inspirational keynote oratory of scholar, reformer and legend, Robert McChesney.
* Take part in all this at a bargain price (an ACME commitment) and then, stay for the fabulous National Conference for Media Reform.
This conference will consist of five tracks, or five mini-conferences, presented the day before the National Conference for Media Reform.
Location: The ACME conference will be held at the upscale Boston Park Plaza Hotel in April 2011. The hotel is across from the Boston Commons and in the middle of cultural, culinary and recreational opportunities; also a great place to stay for NCMR!
Book a room at the hotel here: http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/acm0403
Choices: You may pick and choose from the five tracks: (1) Media Education: Content and Methods, (2) Media, Culture and Democracy: Criticism and Solutions, (3) Health in Media Education, (4) Youth in Media Education, and (5) Technology in Media Education.
Each track will consist of five 75-minute sessions. These will be interactive, media-driven, cutting-edge, entertaining and motivational, and they will take the form hands on workshops or interactive presentations. It will be a day devoted to generating new skills of observation, analysis, teaching, and, most importantly, creating solutions to our media challenges.
THE FIVE TRACKS
1. Media Education: Content and Methods. Five sessions of progressively more advanced strategies and methodologies used in media education, including tips about everything from core concepts to advanced techniques.
2. Media, Culture and Democracy: Criticism and Solutions. Two kinds of sessions: 1. Noteworthy and motivational criticism of the media’s failure in our culture and government, with an emphasis on new and informative critiques. 2. New and relevant uses of media education to stimulate interest in creating activist solutions.
3. Health. Solutions and results from unique programs using media education in health promotion and wellness. State-of-the-art examples using media education as an intervention, including programs that have been effective and evaluated.
4. Youth. Making the case that media education must attract and motivate young people and utilize their knowledge and energy if it is to be successful. Creative leading-edge examples of programs, classes or curricula that demonstrate youth gaining valuable skills and knowledge. Sessions can be presented by youth, teachers or youth and adults working together.
5. Technology in Media Education. How to use the latest technology, Internet tools, Web 2.0, research software, presentation and social media tools, as well as how to evaluate information from modern sources. Examples that utilize and explain technology as part of innovative media education are welcome.
ACME is a national media education 501(c)(3) organization which promotes unbiased and independent media education, especially that which is not influenced by corporate support. This will be ACME’s fifth national conference. Others have been held in New Mexico, California, Vermont and Minnesota.
To register for ACME, go to:
Questions about the ACME Annual Conference should be directed to Bob McCannon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Go leafs go (@ Air Canada Centre w/ 4 others) http://4sq.com/g3QhRx #
- Delayed . . . (@ LaGuardia Airport (LGA) ✈ w/ 41 others) http://4sq.com/eAQSSh #
- If you are here then you don't know. Thank you Dr. Moran. You teach me so much! (@ DBGB Kitchen & Bar) http://4sq.com/hICUep #
- What a mess (@ Slushpocalypse 2011 w/ 392 others) http://4sq.com/eDU10Z #
- I'm at Union Square Cafe (21 E 16th St, btw 5th Ave & Union Sq W, New York) w/ 2 others http://4sq.com/hzEUW0 #
- Fav (@ Mexicana Mama) http://4sq.com/gRLvbv #
- I'm at The Red Cat (227 10th Ave, btw 23rd & 24th, New York) http://4sq.com/h5iflT #
- I'm at Pastis (9 Ninth Ave, Little W 12th St, New York) w/ 3 others http://4sq.com/fjGqpz #
- I'm at LaGuardia Airport (LGA) ✈ (Grand Central Pkwy, East Elmhurst) w/ 35 others http://4sq.com/idtZlS #
- I'm at Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) ✈ (Terminal Access Rd 1, Mississauga) w/ 3 others http://4sq.com/dRVI1R #
- Heading home (@ Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ)) http://4sq.com/fEep8g #
- Here's to dinner with Michael D. & lovely 'Lainey! (@ Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse) [pic]: http://4sq.com/hsL4wa #
- I'm at Cafe Epicure (1298 N. Palm Avenue, Main St., Sarasota) http://4sq.com/eyrqrv #
- what is there to do in sarasota? #
- I'm at Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) (6000 Airport Circle, Sarasota) w/ 2 others http://4sq.com/eksxH9 #
- Toronto Public Library Leaside Branch | Photographic Works by Bradley Lipton | Reception Jan 8 at 2pm http://tumblr.com/xe717flaeo #
- Best Mex (@ Dos Amigos Restaurant) http://4sq.com/dUGu1a #
- good luck to all teachers returning to the classroom tomorrow #backtowork #
- People in the house…happy new year! (@ The Supermarket) http://4sq.com/dYeVQQ #
- Joy, possibility, fun!!! Happy New Year! #
- I'm at New Year's Eve in Toronto (Happy 2011, Toronto) w/ 172 others http://4sq.com/gAkWWA #
- I'm at The Old York Bar & Grill (167 Niagara St, at Wellington St W, Toronto) http://4sq.com/hb9RVO #
- Priscilla on my mind for the next (@ The Princess of Wales Theatre) http://4sq.com/fNL9Lc #
- Happy new year. Time to find a good horoscope. Any suggestions? #
- Photo: The Toronto News Media Map and Advertising http://tumblr.com/xe715fbbbg #
- RT @scrawford: thanks always to @hrheingold for early 1980s Tools for Thought http://bit.ly/ijUXLN #
- NYT: The Masses Help Scholars Transcribe — let's hear it for crowdsourcing! http://nyti.ms/hymPWG #
- RT @gsiemens: would twitter be better if following/follower counts were hidden? Check out this interesting discussion: http://b.qr.ae/afsAyn #
- http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/pdf/journals/ed_lead/el_197511_nystrom.pdf – Mass Media: The Hidden Curriculum by… http://tumblr.com/xe71532lez #
- Final edit on paper; then polish; then submit. Happy holidays work. #ineedabreak #